What about the DivX Ultra profile and DivX Author?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hi there,
I have to say I WAS a really big fan of DivX years ago. But what you do now pisses me off, really.

I used DivX-Author to produce DivX-Ultra - files (e.g. DivX videos with Menu). I bought a Philps DVD-Player DivX-Ultra certified. Fine the movies I've created work on it.
But where is DivX-Ultra now? Does it exist anymore? Does any of the newer profiles (that you mentioned in you last email "Celebrate the season, DivX Plus-style!" ) contain DivX-Ultra? Or is DivX-Ultra a one way street that isn't developed anymore?
Is there any profile, any of the newer ones (DivX HD 720p, DivX HD 1080p, DivX+ HD) that includes Menus within a video file? Is there any software that can produce such files?
Your overview about the newer profiles: ( http://www.divx.com/files/DivX-Profil... ) does not contain the words "DivX-Ultra" nor "Menu"
If I buy a DivX HD certfied device - will it play my files that I created with menu (with DivX Author) correctly - with the menu?

I'm confused about your strategy, please clarify DivX-Ultra, Menus and DivX Author vs the profils you mentionend in your mail from Dec 18. 2012 "Celebrate the season, DivX Plus-style!"
Photo of JensJ

Jens

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of divxsolo

divxsolo, Employee

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Jens

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. As my colleague noted, DivX Author has been discontinued, but since you have a working copy you may continue to use it as you have been. You can also use your DivX Ultra Certified device to play your videos (with and without menus), but as you've already discovered, we are no longer certifying devices at this profile, and none of our current profiles support DivX videos with interactive menus.

The DivX Ultra profile is essentially our Home Theater profile with the added menuing option. We will consider adding back the menuing capability to our DivX Plus HD profiles should we hear from more users like you. In the meantime, please know that devices certified for DivX Home Theater, 720p HD, 1080p HD and Plus HD profiles will still play the first video on your DivX Author created DivX files, just not display the menus, as well as any other DivX video files you create without menus.

In the event you are ready to upgrade to a newer device, know that DivX Plus HD devices include support for both MPEG-4 and H.264-based DivX videos up to 1080p with multiple subtitle and audio tracks, auto and authored chapter points, smooth FF/RW and a host of other features that offer a Blu-ray-like experience.

Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas with us. As you can see, we are paying attention to our users, conveying your feedback to our product team, and actively figuring out how to create the best possible experience with DivX video. In the meantime, check out the latest DivX software where we've made all the formerly Pro features free and added a few more, including the ability (in DivX Player) to stream videos to any DLNA device and (in DivX Converter) to create video for playback on your iPhone and iPad.

Happy holidays from our DivX family to yours.