DivX "Player does not recognize this container format. Additional Software is required" error. How to solve?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
I'm using a MacBook and files are .mkv downloads from internet. I downloaded DivX but when I try opening a movie I get this message: "Player does not recognize this container format. Additional Software is required". What software??? Please help!
Photo of ElkaE

Elka

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused, feeling stupid

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Krista

Krista, Marketing Manager

• 1634 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
If you have received this error, you will need to install an additional codec, filter, or software to decode the audio track of your video file.

First, make sure you know the format of the audio track in your file. If you aren't sure, you can open the file in a program like Media Info and look under the Audio Stream section to find this out. You can also open a video in DivX Player Player, you can right-click on the playback screen and select "Show Video Information".

Once you know the format of your audio track, check this list of Additional Filters here for more information and links to download the appropriate filters, for both Windows and Mac.
Photo of bartbrnB

bartbrn

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Since all the files that played last week, but don't play now -- after me making the mistake of D/Ling what I thought was the latest DivX, hoping to fix my minor, but irritating, subtitle problem -- are .mkv, which I believe to be a standard DivX Plus format, and which does NOT appear on the "list of Additional Filters here" link you recommended, what do I do now? Why did DivX Plus work last week (except for the subtitle problem), and why does it NOT work THIS week?

I'm sorry, but after a year of messing with DivX, I'm really tired of trying to tweak DivX Plus into something that actually WORKS AS ADVERTISED.

The blip at the top says this question is "answered." It is NOT "answered" for me, and, I suspect many other people -- and that's not even taking into account the thousands of frustrated users who gave up on DivX Plus long ago.

It's too bad -- when it works, it's a pretty nice player (with a few judders and dropouts here and there), but now mine doesn't even work AT ALL anymore.

Bart Brown
Photo of bartbrnB

bartbrn

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just FYI:

1. Believe it or not, there are millions of people around the world who use Macintosh computers (ever hear of them?). "Media Info" is Winbloze only.

2. This morning, I was briefly able to actually open a DivX video in DivX -- mirabile dictu! -- and "right-click on the playback screen and select "Show Video Information." Another mirabile dictu! -- it actually revealed my audio decoder was "Core Audio AC3 Decoder." Now I was getting someplace!

After making the trek to the "list of additional filters," I discovered -- mirabile dictu 3! -- the AC3 audio codec/filter listed is FOR WINDOWS ONLY, For those degenerates like myself who actually use Macs (for me, exclusively since 1989), your "Additional Filters for use with DivX Plus Player and DivX Plus Converter" helpfully directs me thus: "Note for Mac users: please download Perian to add AC3 support to OS X 10.7.x or below. An AC3 filter for OS X 10.8 is not available at this time." The last sentence is wonderful news in itself, but the kicker is on the http://perian.org/ page:

As of July 2012, "Starting 90 days after the final Perian release, we will no longer provide support. We'll wrap up our loose ends, pack up our bags, and move on to new and exciting projects.

"Here's what our roadmap looks like:

"We will soon release the final version of Perian, including all the fixes we've worked on since the last release. IT MAY -- OR MAY NOT -- WORK ON 10.8 (Mountain Lion)"

The final -- EVER -- Perian release is v1.2.3, which has been out for about 6 months now, and which I have had installed since its release last year.

For any Mac user upgrading to Mountain Lion, and even for the producers of DivX, who may still have some slight regard or pity for Mac users, y'all might want to check out the discussion:

"My AC3 Codec is not working. Help!"

at:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/...

and DEFINITELY check out this upgrade to the a52codec component. READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS AND COMMENTS FIRST:

http://www.techisky.com/answers/does-...

AND ON THE SAME PAGE: If you want/need to convert MKV, AVI AC3 to MP4 AC3 5.1 or MP4 AAC 5.1, download Pavtube Video Converter FOR MAC. See:

"How to convert MKV, AVI AC3 to MP4 AC3 5.1 or MP4 AAC 5.1"

Pavtube Video Converter can convert various video like MKV, AVI, MKV AC3, AVI AC3 to MP4 video with AC3 5.1, MP4 video with AC3 stereo, MP4 video with AAC 5.1(6 channels), MP4 video with AAC stereo (2 channels), and MKV with AAC or AC3 5.1 audio. In addition, it can convert various format video to MOV with AAC 5.1 audio, MPEG-2 with AC3 audio as well as convert video and audio to audio only AC3 5.1, AAC 5.1, AIFF 5.1 and WAV 5.1.

There's a free download link, titled, oddly enough, "Free download Pavtube Video Converter for Mac"

The same caveat applies to Pavtube as to the a52codec component, upgrade to the a52codec component. READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS AND COMMENTS FIRST!

Since DivX seems content to let Mac users twist slowly in the wind while they cater exclusively to the ever-dwindling mindless herd of Winbloze dweebs, if you use a Mac, YOU have to fix DivX yourselves, or NOT USE IT AT ALL. DivX will NEVER fix the problems its program creates on a Mac, even with Lion, let alone Mountain Lion.

The best and ONLY thing one can say in favor of DivX is that it's free, and worth every penny.

Bart Brown
Photo of bartbrnB

bartbrn

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So, since I seem to be writing to myself here -- DivX is apparently on permanent vacation -- I'll update my remarks from about 2 hours ago..

Had the latest -- six-months-old -- version of Perian (v1.2.3) already installed, as I said, since its release.

I ditched my old a52codec component, and D/L'ed the latest a52codec from techisky.com and installed it.

Then I moved the very few codecs recommended to be removed by the goodbye letter from the lost folks at Perian:

Macintosh HD>Library>QuickTime: "DivX Decoder.component," "DivX Encoder.component," and the mysterious (and 6-year-old) "XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component"

Macintosh HD>Library>Internet-Plug-Ins: "DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin."

I moved those codecs to a folder on an external drive, thinking I might need them again -- good thinking, for once, because I DID need them again, contrary to what Perian and the missing and lamented DivX "Official Rep" Krista has said here.

Restarted the iMac. I was able to JUST open the DivX Player, and actually JUST open a movie clip, but ALL the controls on the DivX Player were grayed-out: I couldn't make it full-screen, couldn't access the preferences, make the video stop or start or pause, or do/control anything whatsoever (including the maddening subtitle glitch), and, in fact, I couldn't even CLOSE DivX Player until I had closed every other open app on the Mac. Very nice.

Just to make my experience complete, I went to the Feral Interactive site that gave me the error message that something was rotten in the state of DivX that started me on this useless quest, and got the exact same error message and NON-playability.

So then I went back and reinstalled the "DivX Decoder.component," "DivX Encoder.component," "XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component," and "DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin." I was then able to open the same movie file, fullscreen, but I could still do nothing with the subtitles, except make them black with a black outline -- couldn't turn them off at all.

I went BACK to the Feral Interactive site that gave me the error message about DivX, and got the exact SAME error message and NON-playability. Right back to Square One after wasting, between last night and today, about 7 hours of fiddling about to no good end.

By the way -- unless you want to pay for it, don't bother D/Ling the Pavtube Video Converter: unless you pays yer money, it gives you a huge "pavtube" watermark across the entire width of the viewing screen of the converted file.

The ONE and ONLY GOOD thing I found was a DivX player that works, on the Mac, anyway, better than DivX itself (no player at all would be better than the DivX Player itself, because you wouldn't waste your time trying to make it work. The DivX player that works better than the DivX Player is called "NicePlayer," and it IS: It's free. It works. What a concept.

If any Mac user, OS X 10.7.5 Lion or lower (can't upgrade to 10.8.x Mountain Lion because in Apple's infinite wisdom, they've made 10.8.x so that it cripples a very large number of third-party apps -- just ask Ambrosia Software) has been able to get DivX to run on their Mac, PLEASE let me in on the secret of how you did it. I really liked DivX Player when it worked (about a week), but it's no good to me in its present crippled and unusable state.
Photo of Krista

• 1634 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
bartbrn, we are not on permanent vacation. We were absent over the weekend when you originally wrote. And sometimes we can take up to a day to respond on here depending on how many people are posting and what other tasks our team has going on. We will respond to you; but please keep in mind that the more posts you create, the more we have to read through and respond to, which means you will delay the response time you get as well.

MediaInfo has a download for Mac as well on their website. You can find it here: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/D...

As far as using Perian on Mac for AC3 playback, it does not work on OS X 10.8, which we've stated here. AC3 is a format that is not supported by DivX Plus Player out of the box, either on Windows or Mac. The only way to add support for this format is through third party filters or software. The only third-party component that adds support for AC3 on Apple computers is Perian. Apple does not, nor do any other third parties, offer AC3 support native to the operating system that can be used in DivX Plus Player.

As far as your actual issue is concerned, I don't see where you've stated what issue(s) are that you've encountered. You mentioned trying to use Perian. Are you not having sound? Are you getting an error that you need additional , but we need to know exactly what is going on.
Photo of Krista

• 1634 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
By the way, your other posts regarding the web player are being responded to as well. This topic doesn't have anything to do with web player functions, so we are addressing the web player issue separately from your comments here.
Photo of bartbrnB

bartbrn

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was going to lay down and read awhile, but let me try again:

You wrote:

"As far as your actual issue is concerned, I don't see where you've stated what issue(s) are that you've encountered."

Here's issue ONE, so far:

I tried to play a trailer on Feral Interactive's website for their new "F1 2012" for the Mac. I've long had problems with DivX, but the last release seemed to solve most of them, but when I tried to run this DivX game trailer, I got a message window (titled "DivX Plus Web Player") which informed me "The DivX Plus Web Player could not download the video, please check your internet connection." Nothing wrong with my internet connection... using the DivX Uninstaller, I unistalled DivX and loaded what was supposed to be the latest and greatest, though its components proved to be the same I already have: DivX Plus Player v9.0.1 (Build 10.4.0.57 Bonham) DivX Converter v9.0.1 (Build 8.1.1.10) DivXBrowserPlugin -- no version info, but it's listed as having been Created & Modified Monday, December 10, 2012 7:51PM, just like the PREVIOUS DivXBrowserPlugin.

I followed all the instructions, quit out of Firefox v18.0.1 (the latest for my Mac), restarted the iMac, opened Firefox, got the message saying another app was trying to communicate with Firefox to add a plug-in, OK'd that, restarted Firefox, tried to access same Feral Interactive video (http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/ma...), actually got a screen that was a plug for Divx+, which was at least something new, but also got the same old message window (titled "DivX Plus Web Player") which informed me "The DivX Plus Web Player could not download the video, please check your internet connection." Been there, did that, did it again, no luck..

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see that trailer at Feral Interactive. There's something wrong with either my system, or with DivX Plus, that won't let me. This is exactly what I wrote before, and you removed. Do you see my actual issue with not being able to play a game trailer in a browser (Firefox 18.0.1, the latest for Mac, BTW)

This issue is also being hashed out over at Apple Support Discussions, and I checked their recommendations against DivX's, and where they differed, tried both ways -- no joy. Feral trailer gives me theexact same error message no matter what codecs I keep or delete>

ISSUE 2, which bears on Issue 1: I have the 10-part miniseries "Taken" (the Stephen Spielberg 2002 one, not the Liam Neeson one), as 10 individual DivX files. A week ago, I was able to -- and DID -- watch all 10 episodes of "Taken" plus the Bonus disk using the DivX player, with no problem except I couldn't turn the subtitles off -- I could find NO external subtitles file in the folder that contained the 10 episodes + bonus "behind the scenes" disc, so I ended up doing the best I could do, which was make the subtitles black, with black border.

A couple days ago, when I first ran into Feral Interactive's error message "The DivX Plus Web Player could not download the video, please check your internet connection" when I tried to access their trailer, I thought maybe there was a newer/better/whatever version of DivX Plus, so I used the DivX uninstaller and uninstalled the DivX Plus I had on my Mac, then dowloaded and installed the latest version of DivX Plus. Tried Feral Interactive's trailer again, same No-Go result.

Then I thought I'd try playing one of the "Taken" episodes that played OK last week, and discovered to my dismay that none of the episodes would play at all anymore on DivX, and I have few .mkv options. So I came here, and to the Apple Support Discussions to see if I could find some answers, which is what I thought this forum was for.

I use Perian because of its convenient codec package, I DON'T use it as a player. I ditched my old (and it WAS old) a52codec component, and replaced it with the correct new one. I did everything that people who have successfully been able to run DivX on their Macs at Apple Support Discussions, and on this forum, had recommended. I still can't play the trailer at Feral, and I still can't play the DivX episodes of "Taken" I watched last week. Somewhow in this sea of codecs, and Apple's third-party app-crippling code in Lion and Mountain Lion, I no longer have a working version of DivX Plus. BTW, I already had MediaInfo, but thanks. My audio stream in the "Taken" episode is AC-3 at 192 Kbps, 48 kHz sampling, 16-bit, 2-channel, and the video is plain old .mkv Matroska.

Considering what other people have spewed here (like hianta's "I just had to download a pile of rubbish ''' stopped the tool-bar sh** but now i don't know what i downloaded ? starting to think that I paid WAY TOO MUCH FOR THIS !!!!!!! ..."), I don't believe I have been out of line. I'm sorry for the double post, not sure how I screwed that up, and there's nothing I saw on your site or in this forum that says DivX works a 9 to 5, 5-day week.

I have a problem I can't solve, and if DivX can't help me with it, to whom do you suggest I turn next?

Bart Brown
Photo of Krista

• 1634 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
For the web player issue, as I mentioned, we are working on it and have replied on the original post here: http://forums.divx.com/divx/topics/di...

For the playback issue, you mention that it "does not play at all." Do you get an error message that you need an Additional Filter? Is there video but no audio? Is that what is preventing playback or is it something else? Does the video not load in the software at all, does it crash, etc.?
Photo of bartbrnB

bartbrn

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I should have been more clear: as an example, I used the "Bonus" movie from "Taken." The DivX window opened in its small screen size (about 700 x 450 pixels), but could not be resized, nor could any of the controls or preferences be accessed -- all those possible choices were grayed out.

Just to show you that life is not very linear, I just tried to play the same "Taken" Bonus video -- it played, but the sound was way out of sync. I closed out of the DivX Player, re-opened it, and tried playing another episode of "Taken" -- played fine (though I still can't get rid of the subtitles), played the "Bonus" movie again, and IT played fine. I did NOTHING between viewings. Last night I ran a full Onyx (v2.4.7) maintenance automation, and no troubles were found, verified with Apple's Disk Utility.

The only error message I get is with the web player.

BTW, if it's of value, the Video Renderer is OpenGL Video Renderer, the Video Decoder is DivX AVC Decoder 1.2.2, the Video Format is --surprising to me -- H.264 -- the Audio Renderer is Core Audio Output, the Audio Decoder is Core Audio AC3 Decoder, and the Audio Format is Dolby AC3 Audio (Tag 8192). I have no idea what Tag 8192 is.

There's nothing more difficult to deal with -- in software, electronics, or engineering -- than a random intermittent problem, which this seems to be.

I'm at a loss. I don't seem to have any system problems. DivX Player seems to be intermittently OK, and I can't explain that. I'd really like to be able to stream video with DivX, but I won't know if I can pull THAT off until all the equipment's in place.

I'm open to constructive suggestions.

Bart
Photo of Krista

• 1634 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Thanks for clarifying, Bart. It sounds like you have several issues and it's a little bit hard to follow all of them in one post. From what you've described it doesn't sound like you are getting the Additional Filters error message, which is what this post is about, but I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

For the web player issue, as I mentioned, we are working on it and have replied on the original post here: http://forums.divx.com/divx/topics/di...

The other issues, as I've understood them are:

1. player window cannot be resized (options are greyed out during playback)

2. A/V sync playback issue

3. both issues above seem to be intermittent

If I've missed anything let me know.

Since these issues seem intermittent and because I'd like to get a better grasp of the files you are trying, I'm going to open a Support case for you and you will receive an email about this. I'll send you some info about some information we'd like to get from you so that we can keep looking into the player resize, a/v sync, and intermittent issues you've described.
Photo of Teemul Mouhammad

Teemul Mouhammad

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
helpfull
Photo of Henry Eakland

Henry Eakland

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I get the following error message when I try to load an AVI file in DivX on my Mac:

"Error Windows Media Audio (WMA) Player does not recognize the audio in this video. Additional Software is required to play. I may be available from the DivX Support website."

But if it is available, I can't find it. Can anyone suggest what I might be able to do to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Unable to hear audio in AVI file playing in DivX for Mac.
Photo of hiantaH

hianta

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just had to download a pile of rubbish ''' stopped the tool-bar sh** but now i don't know what i downloaded ? starting to think that I paid WAY TOO MUCH FOR THIS !!!!!!! Was told I would need Audio Converter ?? ( if div X not sorted that out by now then they don't deserve the money? ) whats a contact for this con group cos if they cant do what they say ? I WANT OUT !
Photo of hiantaH

hianta

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
PROGRAM SAID I NEED TO DOWNLOAD AUDIO CONVERTER TO PLAY THE VIDEO I WANTED TO PLAY.... AFTER 5 ATTEMPS TO GET ME TO INSTALL 5 DIFFEREND TOOL BARS IT NEVER SAID IT COULD NOT PLAY MY VIDEO?... I HAD TO START DIV X AGAIN TO FIND THAT OUT... AM WELL PIST OFF WITH THIS CON
Photo of Krista

• 1634 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
hianta, you should not need to install any toolbars. Did you go to the FAQ page I referred to above? If so, this provides links to the software or filters you need to play the file.

What is the format of the file or its audio stream that you are trying to install?

By the way, the DivX Plus Player is free. If you've bought one of the plug-ins (DFX or MPEG-2) and decide you want a refund, you can request one by clicking here. The need for an additional filter or software to play the audio track of your file, however, has nothing to do with the plug-ins that are for sale on divx.com.
Photo of bartbrnB

bartbrn

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there a DivX employee here to answer questions, or should I send a hand-inked letter on parchment, or smoke signals or something?
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
bartbrn, we are here to answer your questions. As you can see on our forums main page, our business hours are Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm, Pacific Time. So your original message from 2 days ago was not answered prior to your message 1 day ago because this fell over the weekend.

We also saw your other two posts and will be responding to you shortly. We try to respond as soon as possible but the more posts we receive, the more posts we have to read through, which means there is more of a delay in our response.
Photo of bartbrnB

bartbrn

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
"As you can see on our forums main page, our business hours are Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm, Pacific Time."

Sorry, I've never been on your forums main page. I landed in THIS discussion from a Google search, which also brought up the Apple Support Discussion on DivX, OS X versions, and codecs, which naturally brought up Perian. Now that Perian has been abandoned, eventually there will be application-necessary codecs that will have to be supplied from somewhere else, like updates to Quicktime.

If I may ask, whatever became of the "DivX on YouTube" situation? That's what got me into DivX in the first place -- I was looking for something that would appreciably heighten the visual quality of non-HD YouTube vids.

Apple seems to be making life more and more difficult for 3d Party software producers, and the ASDK and sandbox are not nearly as straightforward (or timely) as they used to be. My personal opinion, which isn't worth any more than anyone else's, is that Apple's ultimate intention is to make EVERYONE buy ONLY from THEIR App store, and NOWHERE else. I have software from Ambrosia and SeventhString which were crippled in Lion, and pretty much totally broken in Mountain Lion -- Ambrosia Software has been trying for months now to get back the functionality crippled in Lion with no success, and this whole mess is why I won't upgrade to Mountain Lion (though eventually I'll have to, if I don't die first). Apple is no longer the company Steve Jobs built; it's looking more and more like a Bill Gates horror story.
Photo of susanS

susan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Blenderella educational video won't play.
Photo of Henry Eakland

Henry Eakland

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Krista:

it's taken me this long to get back to this issue and this support forum. First of all, thanks again for your initial, quick reply.

So, I've downloaded MediaInfo, and I've used it to take a look at my AVI file, and I guess I'm not quite sure how to read the results, but it indicates that there's "1 audio stream: WMA."

Is WMA a codec? It's Windows Media Audio, right? If so, is there a filter for it?

henry
Photo of Henry Eakland

Henry Eakland

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
An update. I've installed Flip4Mac to add WMA filter to QuickTime, but I'm still not hearing the audio. Any chance the audio in my file might be protected from playing?
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Hi Henry, sorry it's taken a bit to get back to you. WMA is the Windows Media Audio format, as you mentioned. It's odd that it would be in an AVI file, though; usually use see this in a WMV file. Do you know off hand what the format for the video track is? DivX Plus Player should be able to recognize WMA audio in a WMV file, but I'm not sure about AVI. Are you able to hear the audio if you play the file in Windows Media Player or VLC Player?
Photo of cwong668C

cwong668

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am trying to play a avi file using divx player but got an error message saying "player does not recognize this container format. additional software is required to play. it may be available from the divx support website"...

you do not know what to add the software when you got to the divx support website...

any one knows what exactly the missing files?...

please advise...

cheers,

avi file will not play in divx player.
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
AVI files can contain a variety of different audio and video formats, some of which require additional filters in order to be played in DivX Plus Player. Please consult the FAQ I mention above for instructions on checking the formats for the audio and video tracks. Once you know those, you can cross-reference the table in the FAQ for the appropriate filter. If you have any other questions about this just let me know.
Photo of tregenT

tregen

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I got the same problem with this error. Divx player seems to work better with WinXP a lot better than Win7 or Win8. So far, the AC3 and the ffdshow help somewhat. It still won't play all of my video files half the time. I am giving up. Why are there other video free media players work a lot better without any issues? I paid for my Divx Mpeg2 plugin and the DFX audio enhancer, but I can't play every video files like it was designed to do.
Photo of Geo Peterson

Geo Peterson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am getting no sound after downloading your player. I am receiving this message: Error DTS Audio: Player does not recognize the audio in this video. Additional software is required to play. It may be available from the divX support website. Please tell me what I need to install/download in order to have sound. My system is a WIndows 7. Thanks

Error DTS Audio.
Photo of Josh Howell

Josh Howell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
divx player does not recognize container format, is the problem I'm getting. I'm getting no video or sound.
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Have you checked the list of additional filters that I linked to above to try and play your video and audio?
Photo of Josh Howell

Josh Howell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah I did try that before I posted here. I tried playing some other mkv files with divx and vlc and they worked so I re-downloaded the original problematic file and it seems to be working now as of literally 3min ago.
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Okay glad to hear it's working now. Let us know if you run into any more issues.
Photo of Duncan ArdleyDA

Duncan Ardley

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can't see the work around I submitted..perhaps it was deleted because I found that if you "remade" the downloaded clip using avs video remaker, it solve most of the problems and if avs didn't recognise the avi, I converted the avi to an avi (I know sounds silly) using icoolsoft total video converter (Very Quick converter of longer files) and then "remade" the converted file, divx had no trouble at all in playing them.
As far as I can see, the "container" refers to the compression and some clips are altered from the original compression such as removing adverts..subtitles and the likes and then they keep the original "container" that the longer clip came in so that one does not recognise the other...bit like sticking garden peas in a baked bean tin...
Hope this doesn't get deleted because it works...I gues it looks like I am advertising other brands but I'm not...it's a container thing and for me DivX is the best viewer that there is at the moment.
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
I don't see any previous comments from you on this community. Even if something had been deleted, it would show a message that a comment was deleted with a link to the change log. Also, you would have gotten a notification with an explanation. Perhaps there was an error that prevented it from posting it in the first place.

As far as the error message in our software is concerned, it does say container but in some cases it could be a video or audio track that requires additional codecs or filters. When you remuxed your AVI file, did you change either the video or audio codec you were using? If so, that could explain why remuxing it solved the problem. Certain video and audio formats are supported out of the box in DivX Plus Player whereas others require extra codecs or filters or software to be installed on your system in order for them to be recognized. For example, if you have an AVI file that has a AC3 audio track but no AC3 Filter on your system, you would get the error mentioned above in DivX Plus Player. Installing an AC3 Filter on your system would resolve this, or remuxing the AVI file so that the audio track is in MP3 format would resolve it because MP3 is recognized out of the box by our software.
Photo of Duncan ArdleyDA

Duncan Ardley

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Krista, I found my original text by tracking it back through my email alerts..it said something about the topic being merged or something..anyway it was there.
I have had several problems with other software which ended up with me reinstalling or updating and because I am not the most computer proficient berry on the bush I tend to muck things up and end up needing to reformat.
This workaround I discovered by chance after I had downloaded a clip in blue ray instead of ordinary avi and I had the perfect film with music but no audio from the actors mouth's..that's when I thought "what if I..." and it works.
So being a little illiterate where this computers rusting innards are concerned I like to use this probably unnecessary work around.
Best wishes Krista.
Duncan.
Photo of Joe MckaneJM

Joe Mckane

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do I install plugins for DivX on my mac? I keep getting AC3 and DTS errors when I try to play a video. So there is no sound. Thanks

DTS and AC3 error on a Mac.
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Joe, we have instructions for what to do above. Please follow the links to the FAQ where you will find instructions on how to enable AC3 and DTS support on Mac.
Photo of Anika Sadhra

Anika Sadhra

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no audio on mac.

The audio is not working on my divx player. I have a macbook air and it gives me an error saying I don't have the right codec for audio. I just am not sure what I might need to install for it to work?
Photo of Tomaso Di Torquemada

Tomaso Di Torquemada

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Ingrid Ive Eerten Van

Ingrid Ive Eerten Van

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
problem avi playing.

i have divx plus player version 9.0.2 i have in properties selected to play avi files,
now when i want to watch, they say `player does not reconize this container format, aditinal software is requert to play, cit may be availeble from divx support website` only here i cant find nothing to solve this problem, i have lots of code packs and stuf but i stil cant play the avi file,
can some one help me? i have a windows 7 pc with 64bit, living in the Netherlands..
Photo of tregenT

tregen

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You probably need to download and install the AC3 Dircetshow Filter in order to play the avi files. This audio codec probably works best with Divx. If all fails, just use Widows Media Player 12 in Win7, it's probably the best version ever.
Photo of JoshJ

Josh

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Divx player states it needs additional audio software for the sound to work. Where can I find them?.

The movie plays just fine, but there is no audio. A pop up just states there may be software on this site.
Photo of Linda Rae BrownLR

Linda Rae Brown

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can tell you right now that if you are trying to stream some movies on Divx, you might get a message that you need a Quicktime codec or something. What it means is that if you want to watch the movie you will have to download it and play it or go to another movie. It has something to do with PC and how they upload. If you find that your Mac won't buffer Divx films, uninstall and reinstall Divx for Mac and it will fix it. OK?
Photo of Kyle Boenitz

Kyle Boenitz

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes i am having a problem watching the two movies i downloaded the video shows up and plays but there isnt any sound at all from them is there anyway that it can be fixed
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Have you tried to install any of the additional filters or software listed on the FAQ referenced above and in the error message? There isn't really a 'fix' per se, as this error displays when there are formats that aren't natively supported by our software. But installing the appropriate filters or software on your computer should add support in our programs.
Photo of tregenT

tregen

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Divx player is very picky when it comes to playing video files. Just like you, I have the same problems that you have with most video files when using the Divx player. I've tried installing all these filters like they have suggested in the FAQ's and still got this same problems with the "container format error". I am also very disappointed that the latest Divx, version 10, has not corrected this problem. I suggest that you first try to play your videos with another media player such as the Widows media player or VLC media player. Until Divx really fixes all the bugs in its player, I have more luck playing my video files with WMP.
Photo of Krista

• 1634 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
@tregen, have you already taken a look at the supported formats list for DivX 10 and compared it to your files that get this error?

Here is the list: http://www.divx.com/files/DivX10_form...

The error you mentioned is not a bug. DivX Player does not support certain formats out of the box, but when third party filters or software are installed some additional formats can be supported in our player. The error message is designed to let you know that the format falls into this category.

Which filters or software have you tried installing on your system? And what is the format of your file's container, video track, and audio track(s)?
Photo of juan pabloJP

juan pablo

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
"Player does not recognize this container format. Additional Software is required". with mp4 files i can't see any movie in mp4..thanks
Photo of Krista

• 1632 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Have you tried any of the additional software or filters at the FAQ linked to (both in the error message of the software and in the official reply above)? If so, which ones?

Are you unable to see the video or hear the audio, or both? What formats are your video and audio tracks?
Photo of Ric

Ric

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
"Player does not recognize this container format. Additional Software is required"

Below is all the info I can find:

Complete name : C:\Users\Ric\Videos\DivX Movies\n80.stagevu.com\Doctor%20Who%20%20%20S24%20E02%20%20%20Paradise%20Towers%20II.divx
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 134 MiB
Duration : 24mn 38s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 761 Kbps
Writing application : MEncoder 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu19+medibuntu1
Writing library : MPlayer

ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 661 Kbps
Width : 512 pixels
Height : 384 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.112
Stream size : 117 MiB (87%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04

ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 86.7 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 15.3 MiB (11%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 26 ms (0.78 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 491 ms

This is pretty much all Greek to me, I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for. I get neither picture nor sound. If you could would you please help me with which file I may need to download and install. If you need any additional info I will happily supply it. Thank you in advance and have a pleasant day.
Photo of Daniela SandãoDS

Daniela Sandão

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes